I personally have greatly enjoyed each of the books we have read during this Mexican American Literature portion of Latino Literature. I appreciated the mystical experiences of Antonio in Anaya’s Bless Me, Ultima, the varying unique personalities of the four narrators in Castillo’s The Guardians and the emotional connection I felt with the creative nonfiction story of the Yuma 26 in Urrea’s The Devil’s Highway. Each of these novels provides both windows and mirrors into others experiences and my own personal worldview, values, and history.
One of the biggest contributions that Mexican American literature provides is in the distinctive perspective it offers. For me, this perspective is a window into the clashing of ethnic cultures as well as the struggle between integrating old and new traditions. For Latinos/as in the U.S., it provides a mirror of similar experiences and allows them to hear a voice that they can relate to. For example, in Borderlands/La Frontera, Gloria Anzaldua describes the variety of languages she uses and how each depends on her context of people and surroundings. She says that “it is only with another Chicana tejana that I can talk freely” (448). Her vivid descriptions provide us with new understandings of the hybridity of language in the daily life of millions of individuals.
Another contribution of Mexican American literature is its use of magical realism. Magical realism allows the reader to read an integration of realistic events and mythical events in an engaging and often seamless manner. It provides entertainment as well as symbolism. In Bless Me Ultima, the mythical nature of the golden carp creates a conflict in Antonio’s identity and perceptions of religious truth. Many Latino/a writers use the technique of magical realism for metaphoric purposes that enhance the text.
Perhaps the biggest contribution of Mexican American literature is that it gives a voice to writers whose voices should and need to be heard. Literature about the difficulty of the border offers perspectives that are too often overlooked, neglected, and pushed aside as statistics. We as readers can use these writings as a starting point to widen our understanding of diverse cultures, traditions, languages, and religions. In an interview with Sandra Cisneros, author of House on Mango Street, she describes her reasons for writing. She says that, “I felt that there was issues in the barrio that I wanted to bring to light, that I needed to bring to light - not only for my own story, but I was a high school teacher. I was a very powerless high school teacher … and the girls I was teaching, their stories resonated with me to such a degree that I had to do something so I could fall asleep at night.” It is through Mexican American authors like Cisneros that readers are able to learn about the challenges and joys in the mixing of cultures experienced by Latinos/as in the US.
Becca, I completely agree with you. One of the biggest contributions is the ways in which Latino Literature offers a voice for the writers and the rest of the Latino/a cultures. It offers the right to be heard and considers the experiences and struggles that relate to them. It offers multiple perspectives on the struggles because of the mixed cultures that are prevalent. Great post....
ReplyDeleteLike DB said, great post. You did a really good job of breaking down several key contributions of Mexican American literature. I am familiar with magical realism as a common element of Latin American literature. It has been interesting to see that this tradition is also strong in Latino literature of the US, as well.
ReplyDeleteThe last point you made about the voice of "writers who should and need to be heard" is really good. I read a statistic today that said 66.6% of ethnically motivated hate crimes were perpetrated against Latinos in 2010. Meanwhile, a study published by the National Association of Hispanic Journalists says that stories about Latinos comprise less than 1% of network newscasts despite the fact that Latinos made up about 13% of the total US population (now 16%). To make matters worse, 66% of those stories were about "crime, poverty, welfare, terrorism, and illegal immigration."
There is a serious problem with the way Latinos are being portrayed in the popular media. Those who think we can combat prejudice against Latinos by simply ignoring such racism and not offering a clear counterpoint is fooling themselves. Latino literature provides such counterpoints.
This is a beautiful synthesis of the books in the first half of the course and what they have to offer to readers. What a counter-balance to the sobering statistics Nate quoted about about the lack of representation of a Latino perspective. It took a very long time to get a Latino Literature course at even this college, which has been talking about intercultural transformation for the past 5 years and more. I hope that the students in this class will spread the world about this literature, and perhaps teach some of it if they become teachers.
ReplyDeleteP.S. -- Wonderful timely interview with Cisneros on NPR. Thanks for that link. Anyone reading this should take time to click on the Cisneros link in Rebecca's post, above.
ReplyDelete